Contact InformationEventsMembershipsAbout the Inskeep House

We're Located at:

10 Madison Court
Marlton, NJ 08053

 

This picture was taken May 2006.


2011-2012 Officers

Pres. Geoffrey Smith
Vice Pres.   Pat Dougherty
 Sec.   Winnie Fessenbecker
Cor. Sec. Janet Bakley
Treas.  Connie Evans
Membership: George Ondovchak - 856-866-9008

ANY QUESTIONS CALL: Pat @ 856-983-3139


Meetings

Our meetings are a 9:00am on the third Saturday of every month except July and August. Open house tours after every meeting 10:00am-2:00pm.

Teas - Spring Tea - $16.00 PP - 25-30 guests-- Call Geoff Smith @ 856-783-0687 or Pat Dougherty @
856-983-3139

Mission Statement

The mission of the Evesham Township Historical Society is to seek, document, interpret and perpetuate the rich heritage of Evesham Township for the benefit of future generations and the betterment of our community. All of this being achieved through our museum exhibits, special functions and the Society's members who volunteer their time and effort.

 
Help is always needed - Call Geoff @ 856-783-0687
Membership is open to all----
Membership Types
  Single ---------------$10.00
Family ---------------$15.00
(PDF version)
Business -----------$50.00
  Lifetime -------------$150.00
 
 

The Inskeep//Higginbotham House is an example of a mid-18th century Evesham farmhouse, altered and enlarged in the mid-19th century, probably in two phases. It has interesting construction details and architectural features that are worthy of preservation.

The first house in this location was built in 1725 by John Inskeep II, who had obtained 200 acres from his father. This land was held by the Inskeeps, or their descendents, for over 200 years.

John Inskeep III inherited the property in 1756. In April 1770 he wrote that his house "was burnt"; followed by "came home to my own house" in January 1771. It is believed that the present north wind is the house that John Inskeep built C.1772; probably on the foundation of the original 1725 house that burned.

On the death of John Inskeep in 1810, the property was willed to his two sons, John and Thomas. Thomas died in 1813 and John became the sole owner. In 1842 John conveyed the property to his children, Ephraim, Rachel and Elizabeth. Elizabeth married Joshua Haines in 1845 and they apparently resided in the house and enlarged it C. 1848. The Inskeep descendents-Haines, Woolston, Brick and Pearl held the property until 1936 when Alfred and Helen Higginbotham purchased it.

In 1963 Alfred and Helen Higginbotham conveyed the property to the first of several developers; although they continued to live there until their deaths. The house, vacant for 20 years, was scheduled for demolition, when local opposition led the developers to donate a portion of the historic farm with the house, privy and chicken house to the Evesham Historical Society in 1988.

This information was researched and documented by Ephraim Tomlinson of Medford; another of the long line of descendents of the Inskeeps.